CLIENT: The Carter County Sheriff’s Office, located in Ardmore, Oklahoma
ISSUES: The Carter County Sheriff’s Office website did not allow the community to access needed information online, and many aspects were non-functional or not user-friendly. It also was not mobile-friendly. Because of this, community residents had to call the office to get the information they needed instead of utilizing the website.
Also, the Sheriff’s Office had a minimal budget.
HOW WE ACCOMPLISHED THE REDESIGN WITH NO COST TO CARTER COUNTY TAXPAYERS:
Chris Bryant, Carter County Sheriff, discussed the cost-saving benefits of redesigning the website in his press release:
“This new website will further our goal of saving departmental money by reducing time spent answering phone calls to provide information that can now be accessed online. Also, through our relationship with our communications vendor CTC we partnered with Lighthouse Web Designs to develop a new website at no cost to the citizens of Carter County.”
HOW WE SOLVED WEBSITE ISSUES
We began by working with the department to create a new website that was user-friendly and allowed the community to access various types of information online. We also performed an audit of the old website, identifying non-functional areas that needed to be fixed.
Carter County Sheriff Chris Bryan commented on the newly redesigned website, stating:
“I am excited to be moving forward – out with the old and in with the new! Updating the website fulfills our mission to provide a professional website that meets the current demands of the citizens of Carter County by providing user-friendly access to information about crime and other Carter County issues.”
NEW WEBSITE HIGHLIGHTS
- Online Access to Jail Information: Website visitors can now access information regarding visitation, commissary, and other communication information with inmates at the jail. An inmate search function will allow online searches by inmate name.
- Anonymous Crime Tips can now be submitted online.
- News Page: This page contains press releases and other Carter County news items to keep county residents informed.
- Sheriff Sales: Interesting parties can now view Sheriff Sales information online, increasing the accuracy of sales information available to interested parties.
- Sheriff’s Office Information: Website visitors can view staff images, bios, and job descriptions.
- Sheriff’s Office History Page: History area of the website revamped for easier reading of stories dating back to the early 1900s.
- In Memoriam Page: This area features historical information about those that have fallen in the line of duty.
- Cold Cases page revised, adding an anonymous tip capability.
ATTENTION TO DETAILS
Mobile Device Access Knowing that 80-90% of website visitors use a mobile device to access the website, we made sure that the new website utilizes a fluid design that is optimized for mobile devices to ensure a positive user experience.
Logo & Image To increase community awareness of the sheriff department and create an easily recognized identity, we redesigned their logo to give it a crisp, professional look.
Hosting and Maintenance